Whether you prefer to eat beets raw, cooked, fermented, pickled or canned the health benefits are outstanding! A great choice for dieters .. medium alkaline, high in fibre, promoting the growth of good bacteria for gut health, low calorie, low carb and low fat.
Beets are DELICIOUS and good sources of vitamins and minerals such as hematopoietic iron, manganese, potassium, vitamin C , folic acid, betaine, phenolic acids, flavonoids and saponins. The dark rich pigment of beets assists in full body detoxification by stimulating liver function, purifying the blood as well as strengthening the gallbladder, boosting and protecting our immune systems.
Freshly grated beets as a salad topping are sweet and crunchy with a subtle earthy flavour .. I like to drizzle balsamic vinegar over my beets. I tried fermenting beets this fall and was very pleased with how easy they are to make and thrilled with the taste and the added probiotic qualities. Win win. An inexpensive winter vegetable that stores well and feeds heavenly goodness to our bodies.
Here is a favourite easy to make recipe:
Roasted Beet Salad with Hazelnuts, Thyme and Balsamic Reduction
GF - soy free - sugar free - grain free
5 to 6 medium beets trimmed
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1 tbsp of olive oil
6-8 sprigs of fresh thyme
3-4 tbsp Balsamic Reduction
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Wrap beets individually in foil.
Roast beets on cookie sheet for 45-90 minutes until fork tender.
Let cool for 20 minutes.
3. Reduce oven temp to 300F and toast hazelnuts for 12-15 minutes .. skins will darken and fall off .. use a damp dishcloth or towel to rub the hazelnut skins off and roughly chop .. set aside.
4. Unwrap beets and trim ends .. skins will rub off under cold running water.
5. Thinly slice the beets into 1/8 inch rounds .. arrange 7-12 beet slices per plate.
6. Sprinkle hazelnuts on the beets .. add a drizzle of balsamic reduction and olive oil .. scatter the thyme leaves on the beets.
* beets can be roasted without foil in covered roasting pan
* roasted beets can be prepared in advance and sliced cold
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1. Bring vinegar to low boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium-low and simmer for 20- 30 minutes stirring often until the vinegar has reduced to 1/3 cup.
2. Remove from heat .. cool .. store in airtight bottle in refrigerator for up to 1 month .. use at room temperature.